Serena Williams into all-US Rome final with Madison Keys
Williams claimed a straight-sets win over Irina-Camelia Begu and will face compatriot Keys, who swept past Spain's Garbiñe Muguruza.
Serena Williams moved within sight of a fourth Rome Masters triumph when she brushed aside Irina-Camelia Begu in straight sets in Saturday's semi-final to set up an all-American showdown with young compatriot Madison Keys.
Williams, who looks in fine form for the defence of her French Open title which begins next weekend, overpowered her Romanian opponent 6-4 6-1.
The world number one will now be a hot favourite to land the 70th career title of her storied career on Sunday when she faces the 24th-ranked Keys, who defeated Spain's Garbine Muguruza 7-6(5) 6-4 in the other semi-final.
Williams has looked vulnerable this season, has not competed for two months and pulled out of last week's tournament in Madrid with flu yet she demonstrated that she will still take some beating at Roland Garros despite playing only one claycourt tournament.
There were brief interruptions for rain on a dank, wet day but after Begu, ranked 35, had extended Williams in the opening set, the 34-year-old dismissed her challenge mercilessly in the second.
Keys has been enjoying her best claycourt performance in Europe and caused a shock with her win over Wimbledon finalist Muguruza but beating Williams, who has won 15 successive matches against Americans, is a challenge of a very different magnitude.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Ajax reach initial agreement for Sergiño Dest: 20 million plus 5 in add-ons
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits in California: for how long will they stop and when can I claim again?
- US NEWS | CORONAVIRUS Second Stimulus Check: will there be a new payment in September 2020?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea closing in on Mendy as Lampard confirms medical
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: what did Mnuchin say in Congress testimony?