Benfica's Nico Gaitán will sign for Atletico Madrid for €25M
According to Portuguese sports daily A Bola, after a six-year spell with The Eagles the Argentinian is now set to move to the Spanish capital to work under Diego Simeone.
Nico Gaitán has declared that his time at Benfica is drawing to a close. The Argentinian has hinted at a possible move to Atlético Madrid, one of the clubs that have shown a keen interest in availing of the 28-year-old's services over the past few seasons. Portuguese sports daily A Bola reports that the attacking midfielder-cum-winger is close to signing a four-year deal with the Mattress Makers, with the deal being valued at €25 million.
"I've been [at Benfica] for a long time and this is a very emotional time. I don't know if this is the end or not, but the time is coming. I've had great people around me for the many year’s I’ve spent at this club. I have been treated wonderfully ever since my arrival. I don't want to say that this is it, but the time is approaching", the South American declared on TVi24. Gaitán welled up when he was subbed off during Benfica's 2-6 win over Marítimo to clinch the Portuguese League Cup final in Coimbra on Friday.
"This was a fantastic way to finish. We won the title last year and we did it again this year. Great teams always win, second place isn't good enough. It hasn't been easy maintaining those high expectations", he added. Gaitán made 37 appearances this season, scoring 11 goals and providing 19 assists in the process. Throughout the entirety of his Benfica career, he has played 252 matches and notched up 41 goals.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Pep Guardiola calls for Man City shutdown after UEFA decision
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Mané looks to surpass Ronaldo, Dortmund prepare for Mbappé – UCL in Opta numbers
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Report links club with Facebook accounts aimed at damaging players' images
- MANCHESTER UNITED Fernandes' set-pieces "top class" – Solskjaer lauds new Man Utd signing
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Simeone: "Pessimism? I see optimism and hope"
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Klopp: "Atlético are a machine - they're not playing as badly as people make out"