Benfica starlet Nico Gaitán's €25 million move to Atlético Madrid was finalised this morning. The Argentinian attacking midfielder-cum-winger, who is expected to land in Buenos Aires tomorrow or Monday to meet up with his national team ahead of the Copa América, has agreed to a four-year deal with the club from the banks of the Manzanares. It's likely the 28-year-old will undergo his medical for the Colchoneros in his native country as he is already scheduled to travel to Santa Clara with the Albiceleste on 28 May for the team's inaugural game, against Chile on 6 June.
Following Benfica's Portuguese Cup victory over Marítimo on Friday night, Gaitán announced that he had played his last game for the Eagles. The South American's transfer to the Spanish capital is considered a done deal in Portugal. However, the Diego Simeone-managed club are remaining tight-lipped and are reportedly waiting for the results of the player's medical test before making the news known.
It’s highly unlikely Gaitán will be unveiled before the Champions League final. Sources from within the Calderón state that the club’s main priority is renewing current squad members' contracts (Torres, Griezmann, Gabi etc.); a series of negotiations that won’t take place before the highly anticipated clash with Real Madrid in Milan. Nonetheless, with a possible two-window Fifa sanction hanging over the Rojiblancos’ heads, clinching Gaitán's signature is still considered a top priority at the club.
Te recomendamos en English
- Liga MX Pumas “We will destroy America”
- MLS Jonathan dos Santos to miss LA Galaxy’s debut due to an injury
- MANCHESTER CITY City to use Wanda Metropolitano ahead of Madrid UCL clash
- Laliga Atlético recover third place as Joao Felix finds the net
- Ajax Ajax sign Ziyech replacement Antony in €21.75m deal
- Premier League Solskjaer hails Fernandes effect after Man Utd win over Watford