During the morning at the Vicente Calderón the national anthem was tested on the stadium speakers a number of times at ear-splitting volume, to the extent that it could be heard easily within a kilometre and a half of the stadium and even up to two kilometres away.
The reasoning lies in recent history: on previous occasions when Barcelona have played in the Copa del Rey final the anthem, which has no words to allow for back-up vocals from the crowd, has been drowned out in a chorus of boos by the Barça support. After the controversy leading up to the match over the estelada flags Barça fans traditionally wave at matches, which required the intervention of a judge in Madrid to resolve, the Spanish Football Federation is eager to pull out the stops to prevent a repeat performance with King Felipe in attendance.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona-Real Madrid: LaLiga proposes Clásico on 7 December
- PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN Mbappé, Cavani back as injuries ease up for PSG
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Piqué, Dembélé to 'join' general strike in Catalonia
- REAL MADRID Vinicius will soon be one of the world's best - Ronaldinho
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID El Clásico: Barça open to date change but won't play in Madrid
- JUVENTUS Cristiano Ronaldo continues to play King Midas at Juventus