Adil Rami takes Varane's place in the French squad
The Sevilla defender has been drafted in by Deschamps to fill in for the Real Madrid man, who will be sidelined for the Champions League final after suffering a hamstring injury.
France have called up Sevilla defender Adil Rami as cover for Raphael Varane, the French football federation said Monday.
Real Madrid said Sunday that Varane was a serious doubt for next weekend's Champions League final against Atletico Madrid and the start of France's Euro 2016 campaign after suffering a hamstring injury.
Rami, the federation said, had been summoned 'whilst awaiting further information on the state of the Real Madrid defender's health'.
Rami, 30, has been capped 27 times by France and was a teamsheet favourite under Laurent Blanc's 2010-12 reign, but he has not been called up by France coach Didier Deschamps since June 2013.
Deschamps is already without a key defender as Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho was left out of his 23-man squad for the tournament due to a provisional doping ban.
France open their Euro campaign against Romania on June 10.
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 MLS SEASON Inter Miami: 2021 MLS regular-season schedule
- SERIE A Cristiano Ronaldo missing for Juventus' trip to Atalanta
- QATAR 2022 Tim Cahill, aiming for success in new Aspire Academy role
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey winners list: who has lifted the most Copas?
- BASEBALL Dodgers blow as Cody Bellinger suffers hairline fracture in left fibula
- NBA Simmons backs Embiid for MVP: "I don't know how to stop him!"