Adil Rami takes Varane's place in the French squad
The Sevilla defender has been drafted in by Deschamps to fill in for the Real Madrid man, who will be sidelined for the Champions League final after suffering a hamstring injury.
France have called up Sevilla defender Adil Rami as cover for Raphael Varane, the French football federation said Monday.
Real Madrid said Sunday that Varane was a serious doubt for next weekend's Champions League final against Atletico Madrid and the start of France's Euro 2016 campaign after suffering a hamstring injury.
Rami, the federation said, had been summoned 'whilst awaiting further information on the state of the Real Madrid defender's health'.
Rami, 30, has been capped 27 times by France and was a teamsheet favourite under Laurent Blanc's 2010-12 reign, but he has not been called up by France coach Didier Deschamps since June 2013.
Deschamps is already without a key defender as Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho was left out of his 23-man squad for the tournament due to a provisional doping ban.
France open their Euro campaign against Romania on June 10.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win