Mourinho confirmed as new Manchester Utd manager
The club have announced the Portuguese's appointment, with the 53-year-old describing taking the United helm as a 'special honour'.
Manchester United have confirmed José Mourinho as their new manager, with the Portuguese coach putting pen to paper on a three-year deal.
In a statement on their official website, United added that Mourinho's contract also includes the option to extend his stay at Old Trafford until at least 2020.
Mourinho, whose former employers include Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid, is set to earn around 15 million euros a year at the 20-time English champions.
"Quite simply the best"
Reacting to the appointment, United's executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, said: "José is quite simply the best manager in the game today.
"He has won trophies and inspired players in countries across Europe and, of course, he knows the Premier League very well, having won three titles here."
"A special honour"
Mourinho spoke of his delight at taking the helm at the Red Devils: "To become Manchester United manager is a special honour in the game.
"It is a club known and admired throughout the world. There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match.
"I have always felt an affinity with Old Trafford; it has hosted some important memories for me in my career and I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans.
"I’m looking forward to being their manager and enjoying their magnificent support in the coming years."
Te recomendamos en English
- WORLD CUP 2022 Fourth World Cup stadium ready for inauguration on 18 December
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: Jota makes Liverpool history, Arsenal draw another blank
- premier league Klopp cheers Firmino display as Liverpool set new club record
- NBA LeBron James' Los Angeles Lakers set to sign Marc Gasol – reports
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Messi is an extravagance which Barça can no longer afford
- US Election 2020 US Election 2020: why are Trump’s legal challenges continuing despite Georgia being certified for Biden?