Monchi calls time on Sevilla as Man United enter the fray
The highly-rated sporting director, who has played a pivotal role in the Rojiblancos' recent successes, has told the club's board that he is leaving. Mourinho is a big admirer of his work.Manchester United v. Manchester City live online
Reports in the Seville-based publication El Desmarque have it that Sevilla's much-heralded sporting director, Monchi, has announced that he will be leaving the Andalusian club. Allegedly a heated meeting at the Sánchez Pizjuán ended with the 47-year-old cancelling two prearranged appearances on the club's television channel. If the news turns out to be true, this would be the most devastating departure the Europa League holders have had to contend with in the last 15 years.
Monchi's contract with the La Liga outfit runs for another year and, while this is not the first time news has been leaked out about a possible move elsewhere, never before has he declared his intentions so forcefully to the board.
The rumours surrounding his move have been linked to personal problems and tempting offers from abroad. Apparently Manchester United are particularly keen to acquire the Spaniard's services, as José Mourinho is a big admirer of Monchi's successful recruitment policy at Sevilla. However, neither the club nor the man in question have revealed the reasons behind the supposedly acrimonious split.
To date Monchi has won nine titles with Sevilla, the most recent coming two weeks ago when Unai Emery's team came from behind to beat Liverpool in Basel and clinch their third successive Europa League trophy.
Te recomendamos en English
- European football Cristiano Ronaldo hands Kylian Mbappé the throne
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos' contract talks are complicated
- Transfer talk PSG's Icardi could move to Juventus, suggests his agent
- Transfer talk Real Madrid and Man Utd target Van de Beek: Ajax hopeful
- MANCHESTER UNITED Pogba nowhere near ready for Man Utd return, says Solskjaer
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Marcelo has become a liability