Juanfran in heartfelt letter to Atleti fans after penalty miss
In a message published on Atlético Madrid's website, he declared: "I tell you that Gabi, our captain, will lift the Champions League" Atlético vs Real Madrid
Atlético Madrid defender Juanfran Torres has written a heartfelt letter to the club's fans after Los Rojiblancos lost on penalties to Real Madrid in Saturday's Champions League final.
With the clash at the San Siro ending 1-1 after extra time, Juanfran's spot-kick miss in the shoot-out proved crucial as Real claimed their 11th European crown.
In emotional scenes in the immediate aftermath of the defeat, the full-back made his way over to the Atlético section to apologise to the supporters.
And in a message published on the Vicente Calderón outfit's official website on Monday, Juanfran said: "I will never forget your displays of affection when I came to ask for forgiveness.
"Seeing my tears reflected in the faces of the thousands of Atléticos that packed that end of the stadium helped me cope with the tremendous sadness I felt in those hard times."
The Spain international concluded his letter by vowing that Los Colchoneros would bounce back to win Europe's premier club competition.
"Two years ago, I told you that we would return to a final, now I tell you that Gabi, our captain, will lift the Champions League sooner or later," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid's Takefusa Kubo joins Villarreal on loan
- BUNDESLIGA Jadon Sancho to stay at Borussia Dortmund until 2023 – Zorc
- BARCELONA Pedri: "Real Madrid didn't want to sign me"
- MLS Blaise Matuidi set to join David Beckham's Inter Miami
- Liga MX Chivas to appoint Victor Manuel Vucetich as new coach
- SERIE A Man Utd-linked Meret open to leaving Napoli on loan