Juanfran in heartfelt letter to Atleti fans after penalty miss
In a message published on Atlético Madrid's website, he declared: "I tell you that Gabi, our captain, will lift the Champions League" Atlético vs Real Madrid
Atlético Madrid defender Juanfran Torres has written a heartfelt letter to the club's fans after Los Rojiblancos lost on penalties to Real Madrid in Saturday's Champions League final.
With the clash at the San Siro ending 1-1 after extra time, Juanfran's spot-kick miss in the shoot-out proved crucial as Real claimed their 11th European crown.
In emotional scenes in the immediate aftermath of the defeat, the full-back made his way over to the Atlético section to apologise to the supporters.
And in a message published on the Vicente Calderón outfit's official website on Monday, Juanfran said: "I will never forget your displays of affection when I came to ask for forgiveness.
"Seeing my tears reflected in the faces of the thousands of Atléticos that packed that end of the stadium helped me cope with the tremendous sadness I felt in those hard times."
The Spain international concluded his letter by vowing that Los Colchoneros would bounce back to win Europe's premier club competition.
"Two years ago, I told you that we would return to a final, now I tell you that Gabi, our captain, will lift the Champions League sooner or later," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match