Spain's coach, Vicente Del Bosque, gave his reasons for his final pick of 23 players to make up his squad for Euro 2016. The man from Salamanca was speaking at a press conference in Salzburg, the current location of the team's preparations.
Real Madrid midfielder Isco and Atletico's Saul Niguez missed the cut for the final 23-man Spain squad for Euro 2016 that does include Real's Lucas Vasquez.
"We tried to balance out the squad," Del Bosque said at a press conference in the Austrian city of Salzburg, where Spain faces South Korea on Wednesday in a pre-tournament friendly.
"I believe that with the 23 chosen, we can cope with any emergency."
Del Bosque added: "The players who've missed out have the standard to be there, but I can only take 23 of them."
Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin, an absentee from the initial 25-strong list announced on May 17, was also included in the final squad following Real defender Dani Carvajal's injury in the Champions League final.
"We knew that we could go to the back-up squad at any time and that's how it was with Bellerin," Del Bosque said.
Having played in Real's extra-time win on penalties over Atletico on Saturday, Real's Sergio Ramos and Lucas Vazquez, and Atletico's Juanfran and Koke will be the last to join up with the Spanish squad on June 4.
They will be just in time for the final pre-tournament warm-up against Georgia on June 7 in Getafe, back in Spain.
The squad then begins its campaign against the Czech Republic on June 13 before also facing Turkey and Croatia in Group D.
See the full squad here.
Te recomendamos en English
- FA Cup Liverpool face potential Chelsea clash in FA Cup fifth round
- REAL MADRID Courtois: "It's special to play for Zidane as he was always a role model"
- ARSENAL Pablo Marí's Arsenal move on verge of collapse
- BUNDESLIGA Hertha Berlin sign Tousart, loan midfielder back to Lyon
- LALIGA Valencia president in Barcelona negotiating Rodrigo sale
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Cavani: Atlético signing imminent - player sources