Garbiñe Muguruza powered her way into a first Roland Garros semi-final on Wednesday with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Shelby Rogers of the United States.
Muguruza, 22, had reached the quarter-finals on her last two visits to Paris and was Wimbledon runner-up in 2015.
She will face either Australian 21st seed Samantha Stosur or unseeded Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova for a place in the final.
"I was a little nervous as Shelby was playing with great confidence and precision," said Muguruza, who had to save a set point in the 10th game of the opening set. "But I am happy to win and want to keep going."
Rogers, the world number 108, was hoping to become the lowest-ranked Roland Garros semi-finalist in the Open era.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check passed in Senate updates: who qualifies, how much, when will the payment arrive, Biden signs | Live
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Why are unemployment benefits changing from $400 to $300?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed in the Senate: when is voting in the House of Representatives?
- US NEWS Child tax credit - $3000 or $3600: how much will it be per child?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed: when will it be sent out and how much?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check passed: when will Biden sign it?