Porto on Figo: "A bad example, except in love of filthy lucre"
After the Portugal great accused Porto president Pinto da Costa for trophy drought, the club hit back through its official bulletin.
Follow Porto vs Juventus match coverage | Champions League
Porto hit back at Luis Figo on Thursday through the club’s official bulletin after the former Sporting, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter midfielder placed the blame for the club’s lack of recent silverware at the door of president Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa.
“When he was young he came to be known for signing two contracts at the same time, with Juventus and Parma. Later he swapped the admiration of the Barcelona fans for the pesetas of Real Madrid,” the statement read.
The Dragons said in the text that the club did not want to feed “controversy” although it did recommend Figo read a newspaper story on his intimate relationship with former Socialist Prime Minister José Sócrates, who is suspected of being involved in an alleged case of corruption.
“Luis Figo was a great player but his talent was confined to the pitch and seeing him offer his opinion on any and every matter is always a little strange. He was never an example to anybody, except in his love of the filthy lucre,” the statement concluded.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Bayern Munich's Ryan Johansson joins Sevilla
- MANCHESTER UNITED Tahith Chong's agent suggests Manchester United exit
- IBIZA 1-2 BARCELONA Barcelona player ratings as Griezmann avoids Ibiza shock
- PREMIER LEAGUE Raiola discusses the "elephant in the room" with Pogba and United
- COPA DEL REY Unionistas 1-2 Real Madrid live online: Copa del Rey 2019/20
- Transfers Hazard, Griezmann and João Félix head up record 2019 transfer spend