The other major question surrounding Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea's potential arrival at Real Madrid is the future of current number one Keylor Navas.
Navas: an excellent season
The Costa Rican had an excellent season in the Real goal this term, earning the backing of the fans and the confidence of boss Zinedine Zidane.
A year ago, the deal between Madrid and United was as follows: Los Blancos were to pay 30 million euros for De Gea, with Navas moving the other way for a fee of 15 million.
But 12 months on, it's by no means a foregone conclusion that the signing of De Gea would see Navas heading for the door at Bernabéu.
In Zidane's hands
President Florentino Pérez would leave it up to Zidane to decide whether he'd prefer to have both keepers competing for the jersey, or whether he'd rather let Keylor depart to avoid a reopening of the debate over the Madrid goal-keeping position.
Pérez is conscious of the standing Navas enjoys among the Real supporters and would have no intention of unceremoniously bundling him to the exit in the manner that occurred in summer 2015.
Navas: not so young any more
However, one factor that works against Navas is his age. The ex-Levante man turns 30 in December and is four years older than De Gea.
With a FIFA ban on the horizon preventing Real from registering new players for two transfer windows, it's something that takes on extra significance.
Bringing in De Gea would require a significant financial outlay, but the powers-that-be at the Bernabéu see it as a chance to have the goalkeeping position covered regardless of a period of being unable to make signings.
Solid performances this season for Navas
The chief argument in Navas' favour is the level of his performances this season, having let in just 31 goals (0.68 per game) in 45 appearances in all competitions.
And he played a key role as Madrid lifted their 11th European Cup, boasting even better stats when it comes to just the Champions League: a mere three conceded in 11 matches...
Te recomendamos en English
- BORUSSIA M. 2 - REAL MADRID 2 Real Madrid: Benzema hits out at Vinícius, according to Téléfoot
- Barcelona aiming to end Juventus hoodoo, Mbappe eyes more away-day joy – Champions League in Opta numbers
- European Super League European Super League: a "hostile takeover" of Champions League
- FOOTBALL Manchester United to move for Leipzig's Upamecano - rumour has it
- MLB Dodgers beat Rays to end 32-year World Series drought
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Who are the candidates for 2020 US Elections besides Trump and Biden?