Leo Messi attacked by State Attorney over tax evasion
Barcelona: "They might not know much about tax matters, but even a 10 year old understands what paying taxes is", said the state attorney.
The State Attorney in the trial of Barcelona player Leo Messi, accused of tax fraud, gave "zero credibility" to the player's version of events. Messi had argued in court that he knew nothing about the scheme set up to avoid paying taxes on image rights between 2007 and 2009.
Messi called a "capo" by State Attorney
State attorney Mario Maza, went so far as to call Messi a "capo" heading up a "criminal structure", in that the striker didn't know the details, but he did know the "final result": paying less taxes".
Even a 10 year old understands paying tax
"They might be inexperienced (the player and his father, Jorge Messi, also accused) but they are capable of understanding what paying taxes is... Even a 10 year old child understands that". And Messi had to be able to understand (what was happening) without any problem", concluded the State Attorney, Mario Maza, who is representing the Tax Authorities.
The State Attorney also said he regretted the fact the two accused refused to answer his questions: "I made an effort to use simple language", he noted.
Tax authorities seeking prison sentence
The State Attorney, on behalf of the Spanish tax authorities is seeking a jail sentence of 22 months for both Messi and his father. The prosecutor in the case however has accepted Messi's argument that he knew nothing about any tax evasion scheme and is solely seeking a jail term for Jorge Messi, the player's father.
Te recomendamos en English
- Mourinho quips: Will Man Utd get Man City's 2018 title after FFP breach?
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's season set to be determined by the next 30 days
- PORTUGAL Extraordinary scenes as Porto's Marega walks off pitch over racist chants
- REAL MADRID Rodrygo and Vinicius seem inextricably linked
- JUVENTUS Sarri explains reasons for Ronaldo's omission following Juventus win
- Champions League Champions League Istanbul 2020 final match-ball revealed