Modest Leganes secure historic promotion to LaLiga
The modest Madrid based club secured promotion to the top flight of Spanish for the first time in their 88 years of history.
The modest Madrid working class suburb based Club Deportivo Leganés secured a historic promotion tonight to the top flight of Spanish football where next season they will face the likes of Real Madrid, Barça and Sevilla at their compact 8,000 capacity Butarque ground.
With one of the lowest budgets in Spanish football's second tier a 0-1 away win tonight at Mirandes was enough to secure direct promotion.
Basque side Alavés were already promoted last weekend and after the Madrid province saw two of it's clubs relegated in mid May in Rayo Vallecano and Getafe, "Los Pepineros" promotion sees three teams from the greater Madrid area in primera for the 2016/17 season.
Leganés is a municipal area to the south of Madrid with 180.000 inhabitants and the past two decades have seen the club move from 2B to 2A constantly.
There is still one promotion play up for grabs and that spot will be decided from the play-off games involving Gimnástic de Tarragona, Girona, Córdoba and Osasuna. Zaragoza,blew their chances of securing a play-off place with a disastrous 6-2 defeat away to already relegated Llagostera.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Gareth Bale needs to find his positive confidence, says Mourinho
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo reaches yet another goal milestone
- Coronavirus Bipartisan stimulus bill: what’s in the $900 billion proposal?
- REAL MADRID Has Zidane's luck run out at Real Madrid?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Borussia Dortmund lose Haaland to hamstring injury
- GAMING Fortnite: How to get The Mandalorian skin with Baby Yoda in Season 5