Modest Leganes secure historic promotion to LaLiga
The modest Madrid based club secured promotion to the top flight of Spanish for the first time in their 88 years of history.
The modest Madrid working class suburb based Club Deportivo Leganés secured a historic promotion tonight to the top flight of Spanish football where next season they will face the likes of Real Madrid, Barça and Sevilla at their compact 8,000 capacity Butarque ground.
With one of the lowest budgets in Spanish football's second tier a 0-1 away win tonight at Mirandes was enough to secure direct promotion.
Basque side Alavés were already promoted last weekend and after the Madrid province saw two of it's clubs relegated in mid May in Rayo Vallecano and Getafe, "Los Pepineros" promotion sees three teams from the greater Madrid area in primera for the 2016/17 season.
Leganés is a municipal area to the south of Madrid with 180.000 inhabitants and the past two decades have seen the club move from 2B to 2A constantly.
There is still one promotion play up for grabs and that spot will be decided from the play-off games involving Gimnástic de Tarragona, Girona, Córdoba and Osasuna. Zaragoza,blew their chances of securing a play-off place with a disastrous 6-2 defeat away to already relegated Llagostera.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- METEOR SHOWER Perseid Meteor Shower: watch and follow live online
- Coronavirus India posts record single-day recoveries since the pandemic started
- US ELECTION Did Kamala Harris call Joe Biden racist as Trump campaign claims?
- BARCELONA Griezmann confident Barcelona will reach Champions League final
- PSG Neymar and Mbappé will stay at PSG, Al-Khelaifi confirms