Lionel Messi will not play in Monday's opening game of the Copa América for Argentina against Chile. Although the medical teams were cautious about confirming one way or the other too early on, they have made the decision based on the physical condition of the player who they want to be a major part of the rest of the tournament and didn't want to take any risks.
According to the medical team, the Barcelona star is still feeling pain in his lower back so will sit out Monday evening training just as he did on Sunday.
National manager Gerardo "Tata" Martino confirmed in his press conference ahead of the game that Benfica midefielder, Nicolás Gaitán would step into the position for the starting eleven. He was, however, confident that Messi would be ready to face Panama in their second game of the tournament this coming Friday.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA Skills Challenge: which players will participate in the 2021 edition?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Does NBA League Pass include NBA All-Star 2021?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming & when it could pass Senate vote, IRS tax return | Live
- 2021 TAX FILING Has the IRS already started refunding tax return 2021?
- NFL Denver Broncos: Stay locked on Drew or hand keys to a rookie QB?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK How to claim a missing stimulus check on your 2020 tax return