Fernando Hierro to take on Oviedo coaching post
Pending an official statement, the ex-Real Madrid and Spain captain is in Mexico with his agent ironing out the final flecks of the agreement with Arturo Elías.
The soap opera surounding the Oviedo job has taken an unexpected twist. It will be Fernando Hierro who takes the reins of the Asturian outfit for the next two seasons after Arturo Elías, Carlos Slim's son-in-law and representative of the Carso Group (who hold a controlling stake in Oviedo) gave his seal of approval for the operation to go ahead. Oviedo, who had been toying over hiring Paco Jémez, Bernd Schuster and Rubi, had also been negotiating with Joaquín Caparrós, but finally, the club has gone for an entirely different profile.
For Hierro, the Oviedo job will be his first experience as a fully fledged coach after a brief stint as Carlo Ancelotti's assistant at Real Madrid; he will lead an ambitious project which Slim hopes will propel the team back into the Primera División. The Málaga-born former player is currently in Mexico smoothing out the final flecks of the deal which Oviedo are expected to make in official in the next few hours.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu