Francesco Totti renews contract with Roma despite Spalleti row
"I have always wanted to finish my career in the colours of one club, that of Roma", said the talisman who turns 40 in September. This will be his 25th year in the capital.
Iconic Roma captain Francesco Totti has signed a new one-year contract to play a 25th season with the Serie A side, the club announced on Tuesday.
Totti, who turns 40 in September, began his Serie A career with Roma in 1993, playing 601 matches for the club -- only surpassed in the Italian top flight by Paolo Maldini's 647 with AC Milan and Javier Zanetti's 615 for Inter Milan.
"I have always wanted to finish my career in the colours of one club, that of Roma", said the talisman to his adoring fans worldwide.
The veteran playmaker has had a tense relationship with coach Luciano Spalletti in recent times and speculation had been rife he could be forced out.
But his hopes of earning a final year's deal were boosted late in the season when he came off the bench to score crucial goals for Roma as they finished third in Serie A. On his visit to the Bernabeu last term he also got a rapturous reception.
Te recomendamos en English
- ALFREDO RELAÑO The "big five" pull off first European clean sweep
- PORTUGAL Villas-Boas: "My Porto side was practically pornographic"
- Premier League Pep Guardiola has get out of Manchester free card
- Champions League Mbappé, Felix, Fati, Vinicius... Generation Z shines in UCL
- Barcelona | Neymar case Neymar's Barcelona relationship fine despite lawsuit, says father
- EUROPA LEAGUE Lacazette and Saka sizzle as Arsenal end top of their group