Luis Suarez loses it on the Uruguay bench - Copa America
Luis Suarez went loco when he wasn't brought on during Uruguay's 1-0 loss to Venezuela, the Barcelona player hammering the dugout.
The Barcelona striker who scored 40 goals in the La Liga season banged the transparent, acrylic bench shelter with his fist after realising he was not the man chosen to go on as Uruguay's last substitution in the 78th minute of the Group C match in Philadelphia.
"However, angry he gets, I'm not going to send on a player who could be at risk," coach Oscar Tabarez told a news conference of Suarez, who figured on Uruguay's match team list under the "I" column for injured.
"There was no situation. It's what I said yesterday (Wednesday), Luis is not fit to play, but it's a thing for the medics. I was with him just now and he didn't say anything to me."
Tabarez's plan was to have Suarez, recovering from a thigh injury, fully fit for the knockout phase but that was dashed by the team's poor performances, not so much against Mexico as Venezuela.
Uruguay, record 15-times winners of the world's oldest international tournament, were among the pre-tournament favourites to lift the trophy in the centenary event in the United States.
Defeats by Mexico and Venezuela left them without a point, however, and only a dead rubber against also eliminated Jamaica to come in Santa Clara, California on Monday.
Mexico and Venezuela meet in Houston on the same evening with top place in the group, currently held by the Mexicans on goal difference, at stake.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match