Northern Ireland fan dies in Nice during Euro 2016 after falling
Local officials have announced that a 24-year old has been killed in a "suspected accidental death" in the French town of Nice.
A Northern Irish soccer fan died in the French city of Nice after scaling a sea-front railing and falling on his head onto a stone beach, a local official said on Monday.
He is the first supporter to die during a Euro 2016 soccer tournament that has been marred by off-pitch violence between fans since Friday's opening but all signs in this case suggest that there was no related issue and this was simply a terrible accident.
"Investigators suspect an accidental death," a police spokesman said, adding that the 24-year-old man, whose name was withheld, was drunk at the time of falling. He is believed to have been on his own at the time of the tragedy and now the appropriate authorities are taking steps to inform his family.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona boss Koeman responds to Real Madrid penalty controversy
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE Juventus could be kicked out of Serie A over Super League move
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid enquire about Spurs' defender Serge Aurier
- NBA Anthony Davis posts 42-point game against the Phoenix Suns
- US NEWS Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: efficacy, safety, side effects from Pfizer, J&J, Moderna...
- US NEWS Where is my Golden State stimulus? How to check & track