German and Ukranian fans fight in Lille leaving two injured
Shortly before the match on Sunday evening, it was reported that around 50 German 'fans' attacked a group of Ukranians throwing bottles. Some of this was captured on video.
Two Ukranian fans were injured after German football fans clashed with Ukrainian supporters in the French city of Lille on Sunday in the latest outbreak of violence at Euro 2016, an AFP photographer said.
The Germans lobbed bottles and punched Ukrainian rivals for several minutes in the trouble near the northern city's train station. More than 50 known German hooligans were involved in the fighting, according to a German police source quoted by German sports news agency SID.
"There were no arrests and the police did not need to intervene," police told AFP.
German police said Sunday they arrested 21 hooligans on Sunday who were trying to make their way to France for the match in Lille. One group was carrying helmets and gumshields, reports said. Germany has also shared with French authorities a list of 2,500 known hooligans and German police have been deployed in northern France for the match.
World champions Germany played the Ukraine in their first match of Euro 2016 at Pierre-Mauroy Stadium in Lille shortly after the disturbance.
The tournament has been marred by violence in the first three days of action. UEFA warned England and Russia they could be thrown out of the competition if their fans cause any more violence, after supporters from both countries and French locals fought pitched battles in Marseille on Saturday.
We are yet to hear from Uefa on this new incident but many will be hoping that the reaction from authorities is consistant across the nations.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Unemployment benefits: can you keep the payments if you go back to work?
- US News Which states have abolished federal unemployment benefits and why?
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo's gesture wipes $3.5bn off Coca-Cola's market value
- US NEWS Why is Juneteenth being considered a national holiday?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE California Vaccine Lottery: from which counties were the 15 June winners and how much did they win?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Novavax covid-19 vaccine: How effective is it and who will get it?