Zika fears make Pau Gasol consider freezing his sperm
The Spain international is still mulling over whether he will take part in August's Rio Olympic Games in the wake of fears over the zika virus: "It's a serious situation"Super Bowl 2018 live online: Patriots vs Eagles
Pau Gasol was in Barcelona today for the presentation of his summer campus and faced the inevitable question about whether he will be taking part with Spain's basketball team at August's Olympic Games in Rio. The Catalan power forward was unclear about his participation, telling reporters, "I can't confirm or deny that I will be at the Games" but added that he hoped to be able to make a firm decision "before Spain's Olympic team is selected". Gasol admitted that is major concern is the zika virus: "The worries haven't disappeared and that's because the risks are real. It's a big worry. A number of sportsmen and women have already decided not to go the Games because, however small the risks might be, they are still there. The situation is serious".
Gasol went on to say that he is happy that by voicing his concerns about Zika in public "has helped so that we can talk openly about the matter". He continued: "Every day something new comes out, advances, a more in-depth analysis. A lot of sportsmen are in their most fertile stage of their lives and so it's something which requires a great deal of thought. There are no guarantees. It's not something which should be taken lightly - in Brazil a million and a half have been affected [by Zika]". The Chicago Bulls player says he is contemplating freezing his sperm as a precautionary measure if he does finally decide to go to the Games like other sportsmen such as Great Britain long jumper Greg Rutherford. Gasol says he would also be open to authorities postponing the Olympics until a later date when the Zika threat dies down.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?