Giménez: English interest sees Atlético eye replacement
José María Giménez is attracting admiring glances from the Premier League and, should he leave, Atleti are making sure they're prepared. Atlético vs Real Madrid
Atlético Madrid are working on summer signings as they put together their squad for the coming season, but at the same time are remaining watchful of possible movements that could lead to players heading out of the Vicente Calderón.
City interested in Giménez
That is above all the case where central defender José María Giménez is concerned. Atleti are well aware that the Uruguayan's youth and quality have made him a potential target for several European big guns - chiefly Manchester City.
Having failed in their attempts to lure Athletic Club's Aymeric Laporte to the Etihad Stadium, the Premier League giants - to be managed by Pep Guardiola next term - have set their sights elsewhere as they seek to strengthen an area that has proved a weakness for them.
Atleti calm - but prepared
Atlético are not panicking and are mindful of the fact that Giménez's release clause is set at the not insignificant amount of 65 million euros. However, Los Rojiblancos are also making sure their backs are covered, and have drawn up a list of possible replacements - topped by Villarreal's Mateo Musacchio.
The 25-year-old, who has made 219 first-team appearances for the Submarino Amarillo since joining in 2009, holds an EU passport and is seen as the ideal man to fill the hole Giménez would leave at the back.
And the Champions League runners-up recently enquired after Musacchio's situation in a bid to be prepared should they lose their young centre-back.
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham 'just a pony' in Premier League title race? Lampard disagrees with Mourinho
- CYBER MONDAY Cybermonday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair
- US Election Election USA 2020: why did Donald Trump pay $3 million for recount in Wisconsin?
- US News Cyber Monday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target
- US News Walmart, Amazon and Macy´s: Black Friday returns policies
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: latest on US coronavirus relief bill