Euro 2016: Spain's Pedro explodes over lack of game time
The Chelsea man, who has played just nine minutes of La Roja's campaign in France, wasn't mincing his words as he spoke to Spanish TVEngland vs Spain
Spain attacker Pedro Rodríguez has sparked controversy after offering outspoken remarks over his peripheral role for Vicente del Bosque's men.
"I had other expectations"
The Chelsea player, who has won 56 Spanish caps since making his international debut in 2010, has featured for just nine minutes of La Roja's Euro 2016 campaign so far.
A late substitute in Spain's opening Group D win over the Czech Republic, Pedro then failed to get off the bench as the tournament holders beat Turkey 3-0 on Friday to qualify for the last 16.
And in an interview with pay-TV platform Movistar+, the ex-Barcelona man admitted: "I had other expectations when I got here."
"It isn't worth coming"
He continued: "Taking on this role is difficult for me and if you can't see any prospect of a regular game it isn't worth carrying on coming [just] to be part of the group and to be with your team-mates."
However, the 28-year-old did concede that he feels 'very comfortable' when he is with the Spain squad.
In the wake of his comments, it was announced that the player would face the media on Monday evening as part of Spain's pre-match press conference for their third and final group-stage clash, which sees them take on Croatia on Tuesday.
And on Radio Marca, Del Bosque explained that he had talked to Pedro about his remarks: "It took me by surprise, but it's better that the lad speaks and explains himself.
He went on: "I've spoken to him, he's apologised to me."
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match