Understanding the last 16 at Euro 2016
Spain winning Group D would see them play the 3rd best team from either Group B/E or F in Lens next Saturday at 21:00.
With the conclusion of Group A last night, the focus is starting to turn to the round of 16 and the possible parings in the next stage of Euro 2016.
With the presence of 24 teams at this year's competition, 16 will make it through to the next round with just 8 of the starters taking the plane back to their respective country's. All top two teams from Groups A-F will make it through to the next round and they will be joined by the four third best placed teams. These teams will then face group winners from group's A/B/C and D and the pairing of their respective games is based on a chart which UEFA have installed in clause 17.04 of the tournament regulations.
So what does this mean? Taking France as a case in point as group winners, Deschamps' side can only face the third best placed side from groups C/D and E with their opponent only being confirmed once the group standings have been confirmed with the four third best placed sides confirmed. If groups A/B/C and D hypothetically deliver the four third best placed teams then France would play a team from Group C (based on the UEFA regulation, currently Northern Ireland).
The criteria to determine the third best placed teams are: points gained, head to head if tied on points with another team, goals scored, goal difference, disciplinary record during Euro 2016 and if there is no resolution the respective countries UEFA coefficient will be the deciding factor.
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham 'just a pony' in Premier League title race? Lampard disagrees with Mourinho
- CYBER MONDAY Cybermonday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair
- US Election Election USA 2020: why did Donald Trump pay $3 million for recount in Wisconsin?
- US News Cyber Monday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target
- US News Walmart, Amazon and Macy´s: Black Friday returns policies
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: latest on US coronavirus relief bill