Simeone cuts Torres' deal to one more year with Atletico Madrid
With a deal in the offing for two years with an option for another, Simeone has cut that to one year with another depending on performancesCopa del Rey 2017 last 16 draw: live online
Fernando Torres, Atletico's favourite prodigal son is staying. The striker knew on his way to Milan that his place at the mattress makers was assured, after the player's patient view of the club's wait-and-see negotiating strategy. Simeone had given the ok for conversations to start after Torres' late-season run of form and a pact had been agreed before the squad flew to Milan for the Champions League final against city rivals Real Madrid.
That deal was a contract for two seasons with an option for a third, but with the cyclonic susto of Simeone's potential departure after los rojiblancos lost on penalties, everything was put on hold. The club, terrified of losing the man who has changed the landscape of La Liga and Europe's top competition, flew to Buenos Aires to convince El Cholo to stay.
Torres had to wait again. Two weeks of uncertainty followed until Gil Marín and Berta returned from Argentina, and practically on landing they contacted Torres' agent to communicate the change of posture regarding the initial deal. El Niño had rejected some serious offers, convinced that Atleti, his spiritual home would uphold that deal that would promise him two more years at the Calderón with a potential extra year written in.
At the last minute, with the player 'between the sword and the brick wall' as they say in Spain, accepted the deal. Torres will be dressed in rojiblanco next season, but is only guaranteed that single season. The player felt he had earned the longer contract with his showing over the past five months, but it appears Torres will have to play his way to another year in his home city Madrid.
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham 'just a pony' in Premier League title race? Lampard disagrees with Mourinho
- CYBER MONDAY Cybermonday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair
- US Election Election USA 2020: why did Donald Trump pay $3 million for recount in Wisconsin?
- US News Cyber Monday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target
- US News Walmart, Amazon and Macy´s: Black Friday returns policies
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: latest on US coronavirus relief bill