Piqué denies bird-flip during anthem: "I was crossing fingers"
The Spain defender moved to quash controversy over a hand gesture during the anthem: "I have never lacked respect".
Gerard Piqué was swift to deny he had shown a lack of respect towards Spain before the Croatia game on Tuesday night, when television cameras picked up the defender appearing to flip the bird during the national anthem. “I think it’s stupid. If I’m here, it’s because I am proud of this team and this family. I did not in any way show a lack of respect towards the anthem, as I have never shown a lack of respect towards this country, or the national team. I hope we can all pull together. These controversies are a highway to nowhere.”
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA HEAT CHECK NBA: George, Middleton make moves but half-fit Harden hinders Nets
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics without fans a 'definite possibility' - Japan PM
- FC BARCELONA Barcelona's Laporta says Super League will still go ahead
- FOOTBALL Barcelona: Laporta out to bring Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi together
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? Tax refund, $3,600 Child Tax Credit portal...
- NBA Booker plays down first triple-double after Suns take Game 1