La Gazzetta dello Sport on Wednesday reported that Sime Vrsaljko has agreed to join Atlético Madrid, pending official confirmation from the Calderón and Serie A side Sassuolo.
According to La Gazzetta, the Croatia defender passed a medical in France, where he is on international duty at Euro 2016. Vrsaljko played the full 90 minutes in his country’s 2-1 win over Spain on Tuesday at left back, although he usually operates on the right and can also play in midfield.
AS reported recently that Diego Simeone had identified Vrsaljko as a target to provide competition for Juanfran at right back and to have a first-class back-up for the Spain international. After a spectacular season in Serie A Vrsaljko had offers from several clubs, including Napoli, but has elected to join Atlético.
La Gazzetta reported the fee for the transfer would be 16 million euros plus two more in add-ons. Vrsaljko will sign a four-year deal with the option of a fifth and join up with Simeone’s squad for pre-season after the Euros.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Kane: Probably toughest time since I've been at Tottenham
- Premier League Liverpool praise Man United for swift action on racist abuse
- PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN Mbappé, Cavani unable to play 90 minutes yet, says PSG boss Tuchel
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID Clásico decision pushed back to Barcelona and Real Madrid
- ATLÉTICO DE MADRID Atlético de Madrid tracking Porto's youth pearl Fabio Silva
- GALATASARAY-REAL MADRID Zidane: "The rumours bother me; I want to be here forever"