Maradona tells Argentina: "If you don't win, don't come back"
The Argentinian great had a word of warning for the Albiceleste as they prepare to face Chile in the final of the Copa América Centenario.Argentina - Nigeria
Argentina booked their place in the tournament decider with a 4-0 victory over the United States as Lionel Messi became the nation's all-time leading scorer.
The Albiceleste are out to clinch their first continental title since 1993, but come up against the same side that beat them on penalties in last year's final.
And former Argentina player and coach Maradona, who captained the team to World Cup glory in 1986, told C5N on Wednesday: "Of course I think we'll win."
However, he also had a message for Gerardo 'Tata' Martino's men ahead of the clash at the MetLife Stadium: "But if you don't win, don't come back."
Meanwhile, on the 30th anniversary of his famous solo goal against England at Mexico '86, Maradona looked back on the strike.
"[England defender Terry] Butcher gave me a real big kick," he recalled. "But when I saw the ball going in it stopped hurting right away. It was a dream goal."
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona offer Griezmann to Juventus, reports in Italy
- Coronavirus India's Covid-19 vaccine target launch date concerns experts
- Bundesliga Sané takes Coutinho's number 10 shirt at Bayern
- BARCELONA Umtiti: Barcelona defender suffers fresh injury setback
- Manchester City 4-0 Liverpool Klopp praises “brilliant attitude” despite comprehensive defeat
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Real Madrid stretch LaLiga lead over Barcelona to four points