Srna calls time on international career with Croatia
The 33-year-old right-back says he has played his final game for the national teams after making 134 appearances for Croatia.
Darijo Srna announced on Sunday that he has played his final game at international level for Croatia. The 33-year-old right-back has decided the time is right to retire from the national team after having defended his country's shirt 134 times.
Just hours after Croatia were eliminated from Euro 2016 by Portugal, the Shakhtar Donetsk defender, and Croatia captain for many years made his announcement.
It hasn't been a happy tournament for Srna, who received the bad news that his father had passed away just after the team's Euro 2016 opener against Turkey.
After travelling back home to pay his repects at his father's funeral, the Croatia captain rejoined the squad and featured in the starting line-up in the next three games - dedicating each one to his late father.
Srna gained his first cap for Croatia against Romania in 2002 and scored his first goal at full international level a year later against Belgium.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid's Takefusa Kubo joins Villarreal on loan
- BUNDESLIGA Jadon Sancho to stay at Borussia Dortmund until 2023 – Zorc
- BARCELONA Pedri: "Real Madrid didn't want to sign me"
- MLS Blaise Matuidi set to join David Beckham's Inter Miami
- Liga MX Chivas to appoint Victor Manuel Vucetich as new coach
- SERIE A Man Utd-linked Meret open to leaving Napoli on loan