Srna calls time on international career with Croatia
The 33-year-old right-back says he has played his final game for the national teams after making 134 appearances for Croatia.
Darijo Srna announced on Sunday that he has played his final game at international level for Croatia. The 33-year-old right-back has decided the time is right to retire from the national team after having defended his country's shirt 134 times.
Just hours after Croatia were eliminated from Euro 2016 by Portugal, the Shakhtar Donetsk defender, and Croatia captain for many years made his announcement.
It hasn't been a happy tournament for Srna, who received the bad news that his father had passed away just after the team's Euro 2016 opener against Turkey.
After travelling back home to pay his repects at his father's funeral, the Croatia captain rejoined the squad and featured in the starting line-up in the next three games - dedicating each one to his late father.
Srna gained his first cap for Croatia against Romania in 2002 and scored his first goal at full international level a year later against Belgium.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's internal debate
- TRANSFER RUMOURS Premier League: Arsenal intensify Nuno interest and keep Martínez in mind
- VALENCIA - REAL MADRID Zidane and Celades: friends in Madrid, rivals in Valencia
- FOOTBALL Michael Owen: "I was already in decline by the time I was 23"
- Rashford eager to live up to 'nice' Ronaldo comparisons
- LIVERPOOL Liverpool: "Klopp has made me who I am today" - Alexander-Arnold