ITALY 2-0- SPAIN | DEL BOSQUE
Del Bosque: "Continue? I've decided. I will tell Villar"
Spain's coach, visibly upset, said after today's defeat: "The team has World Cup qualifiers in September and will continue to function".
Vicente del Bosque explained what happened to his team in the first half, defeat to Italy and the subsequent elimination from 2016 and when he will continue in the job in the foreseeable future.
Bad moment for the team: "It's not a good moment, we've lost, we've been eliminated from the tournament, but we have to accept this defeat with honour. We were too timid in the first half and while we were more aggressive in the second half, but without success".
Poor first half display: "You could say that, looking on the bright side, the result wasn't the worst thing about our performance this evening. Through sheer physical power, they created a lot of danger. I don't think our first half can be put down to tiredness. Our team has always been characterized for its technical qualities, rather than physical strength".
Can you see Italy going all the way to the final?: "They play well and they're very efficient. They're a very difficult side to play against".
Desperation on the bench: "Nothing turned out for us, despite our best intentions".
The end of an era: "The national team has World Cup qualifiers in September and will continue to function. I don't think this is the end of an era, we have a lot of good players coming through".
Will you be in charge in September?: "I'll speak to the president about it. I haven't mentioned anything to the players".
Have you decided? "I have more or less decided; first I'll speak to Villar".
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?