L’Equipe announced on Tuesday through its official Twitter account that Olympique Lyon and Barcelona have reached an agreement for the transfer of 22 year old French defender Samuel Umtiti. According to the French newspaper, the switch will set the Catalan club back €30 million, €10m more than they had originally planned for.
Transfert : Accord entre l'OL et le Barça pour Samuel Umtiti https://t.co/4F4pQjkUjh— L'ÉQUIPE (@lequipe) 29 June 2016
Explosively quick and physical
Umtiti, who should start France’s Euro 2016 quarterfinal encounter with Iceland due to the suspension of Rami, can play on the left side of the back four as well as in the middle. An explosively quick player, Umtiti is big and physical and also a decent shot at goal.
Barring any last minute hitches, he’ll sign a five-year contract at Camp Nou and will become direct competition for Mascherano and Mathieu, as well as offer back-up to Jordi Alba now that Adriano has left the club.
Te recomendamos en English
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Klopp: "Atlético are a machine - they're not playing as badly as people make out"
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Alexander-Arnold: "Madrid holds good memories but we've got a job to do tomorrow"
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Simeone: "Pessimism? I see optimism and hope"
- Neymar ready to face Borussia Dortmund, Tuchel confirms
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Martin Braithwaite's agent arrives to open talks
- LAUREUS 2020 Messi and Lewis Hamilton share Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award