Belgium suffer Vertonghen injury blow
Belgium have been dealt a major blow ahead of their Euro 2016 quarter-final against Wales after defender Jan Vertonghen was ruled out of the rest of the tournament with an ankle injury.
Belgium have been dealt a major blow ahead of their Euro 2016 quarter-final against Wales after defender Jan Vertonghen was ruled out of the rest of the tournament with an ankle injury, media reports said.
The Tottenham Hotspur defender, 29, reportedly damaged ankle ligaments in training on Thursday and Belgian broadcaster RTBF said he is set to be sidelined for up to four months.
The Belgian Football Federation have yet to confirm the reports but coach Marc Wilmots was due to speak to the media at 17.45 CET ahead of Friday's match.
The injury would also come as a big blow to his club ahead of the next Premier League season. 'He's an outstanding performer. So if he misses the game, it's a big loss for Belgium. But they've got so much talent,' said Wales coach Chris Coleman at a press conference in Lille, where Friday's match will be played.
There was better news for Belgium on Thursday as captain Eden Hazard returned to training for the first time since Sunday's 4-0 win over Hungary. He had been struggling with a minor groin problem.
Losing Vertonghen, however, would add to Wilmots' selection problems in defence, with centre-back Thomas Vermaelen already having been ruled out of the game due to suspension. Jason Denayer of Manchester City is expected to deputise for Vermaelen while Vertonghen, who has played at left-back for his country at Euro 2016, is likely to be replaced by Jordan Lukaku, the younger brother of striker Romelu.
'We know Vermaelen's suspended, of course. But we can't look past ourselves. No disrespect to Belgium or any opposition, but we only ever concentrate on ourselves,' added Coleman.
Belgium had already lost captain Vincent Kompany and fellow defenders Nicolas Lombaerts and Dedryck Boyata to injury before the start of the tournament.
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live