Belgium suffer Vertonghen injury blow
Belgium have been dealt a major blow ahead of their Euro 2016 quarter-final against Wales after defender Jan Vertonghen was ruled out of the rest of the tournament with an ankle injury.
Belgium have been dealt a major blow ahead of their Euro 2016 quarter-final against Wales after defender Jan Vertonghen was ruled out of the rest of the tournament with an ankle injury, media reports said.
The Tottenham Hotspur defender, 29, reportedly damaged ankle ligaments in training on Thursday and Belgian broadcaster RTBF said he is set to be sidelined for up to four months.
The Belgian Football Federation have yet to confirm the reports but coach Marc Wilmots was due to speak to the media at 17.45 CET ahead of Friday's match.
The injury would also come as a big blow to his club ahead of the next Premier League season. 'He's an outstanding performer. So if he misses the game, it's a big loss for Belgium. But they've got so much talent,' said Wales coach Chris Coleman at a press conference in Lille, where Friday's match will be played.
There was better news for Belgium on Thursday as captain Eden Hazard returned to training for the first time since Sunday's 4-0 win over Hungary. He had been struggling with a minor groin problem.
Losing Vertonghen, however, would add to Wilmots' selection problems in defence, with centre-back Thomas Vermaelen already having been ruled out of the game due to suspension. Jason Denayer of Manchester City is expected to deputise for Vermaelen while Vertonghen, who has played at left-back for his country at Euro 2016, is likely to be replaced by Jordan Lukaku, the younger brother of striker Romelu.
'We know Vermaelen's suspended, of course. But we can't look past ourselves. No disrespect to Belgium or any opposition, but we only ever concentrate on ourselves,' added Coleman.
Belgium had already lost captain Vincent Kompany and fellow defenders Nicolas Lombaerts and Dedryck Boyata to injury before the start of the tournament.
Te recomendamos en English
- Messi hat-trick a good way to celebrate Ballon d'Or – Barca boss Valverde
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez: Best goal of my career
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane has four options to fill left-back vacancy against Valencia
- BARCELONA Barcelona president agrees "three years could be enough for Valverde"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us