The arrival of Michy Batshuayi at Chelsea could well bring closer the return of Diego Costa to Atlético Madrid. The Belgian forward is set to arrive at Stamford Bridge for a total of €40 million from Marseille, leaving the door open for Costa to come back to the Spanish capital.
According to the Daily Star, the Brazilian-striker has asked Chelsea to let him leave for Vicente Calderón after just two seasons in the Premier League. That is despite sources at the club having maintained that the Spanish international was happy in London, and that he was going to play an important role in the side under Antonio Conte.
Atléti bid €50m for Costa
The UK newspaper reports that Atlético have tabled a €50 million bid for the striker. However, Conte is said to want at least two top-level forwards on his arrival at Chelsea, meaning a Costa exit would leave a hole in the Italian coach’s frontline. The Daily Star affirms that Álvaro Morata would be the prime candidate to replace him.
It seems that the Blues’ number 19 is not entirely settled at Stamford Bridge, especially after Chelsea’s disastrous campaign last season in which the club failed to qualify for Europe and were left without any silverware whatsoever. The forward also believes he’s badly treated by Premier League referees.
37 goals, 78 games
After 37 goals in 78 games, Costa’s time at Chelsea could indeed be coming to an end if his wish to swap west London for south Madrid is granted. Before joining the Blues under José Mourinho, Costa left Atlético as La Liga champion and Champions League runner-up, having scored 36 goals in 52 goals in his final season.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Solskjaer needs defender to step into Maguire's shoes
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool boss Klopp explains perceived spat with Mané
- FA CUP Which team has won most FA Cup trophies? Full list of winners
- NBA NBA: Giannis Antetokounmpo forced to cut back on muscle-flex celebrations
- CORONAVIRUS NEWS Covid-19: further doubts over origins of coronavirus
- Coronavirus Where won't you have to wear a mask after the vaccine and in what cases?