Atleti set their sights on rising Argentine star
19 year-old Santiago Ascacibar has been named in Argentina's provisional Olympic squad and currently plays for Estudiantes.
Reports emerging from Argentina suggest that Atletico Madrid are hot on the trail of Estudiantes’ 19 year-old midfielder Santiago Ascacibar.
Recently named in Argentina’s provisional squad for the Rio Olympics, Ascacibar is a defensive midfielder who has burst onto the scene in Argentina this season with a series of standout performances. Atletico are rumoured to have already submitted a bid for the player, who is currently under contract with Estudiantes until June 2019.
The club’s Chief Executive, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, travelled to Buenos Aires a few weeks ago to look over the squad for next season with Diego Simeone and to discuss possible new signings. Ascacibar was one of them and Atleti will be keen to steal a lead on other interested clubs ahead of the new season.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Euro 2020 play-offs, pots & finals draw: teams, dates, times...
- BAYERN MUNICH Pochettino-Bayern links re-intensify in Germany
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane could see James' injury coming
- BRAZIL Tite responds to criticism of Rodrygo's lack of playing time
- LALIGA Gareth Bale 'in that order' flag inspires Spanish football
- REAL MADRID José Mourinho to open Spurs escape hatch for Gareth Bale