Atleti set their sights on rising Argentine star
19 year-old Santiago Ascacibar has been named in Argentina's provisional Olympic squad and currently plays for Estudiantes.
Reports emerging from Argentina suggest that Atletico Madrid are hot on the trail of Estudiantes’ 19 year-old midfielder Santiago Ascacibar.
Recently named in Argentina’s provisional squad for the Rio Olympics, Ascacibar is a defensive midfielder who has burst onto the scene in Argentina this season with a series of standout performances. Atletico are rumoured to have already submitted a bid for the player, who is currently under contract with Estudiantes until June 2019.
The club’s Chief Executive, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, travelled to Buenos Aires a few weeks ago to look over the squad for next season with Diego Simeone and to discuss possible new signings. Ascacibar was one of them and Atleti will be keen to steal a lead on other interested clubs ahead of the new season.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS When will Joe Biden's American Rescue Plan be approved?
- REAL MADRID Monaco interested in Real Madrid defender Marcelo
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King Day: what did MLK do and how did he die?
- UNITED STATES $2,000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live
- US NEWS Martin Luther King Jr Day: most famous quotes & speeches
- US POLITICS Biden-Harris reveal inauguration playlist: songs and where to listen