Torres signs deal to stay at Atlético Madrid
Los Rojiblancos have confirmed the striker is to remain at the Calderón next season, with the player declaring himself 'delighted'.
- LaLiga Santander, matchday 20: Alavés-Atlético Live.
Atlético Madrid have announced that striker Fernando Torres has put pen to paper on a one-year deal to stay at the Vicente Calderón.
Torres, an Atleti youth product, returned for a second stint at the club 18 months ago in a loan switch from Serie A side AC Milan.
And following the expiry of his Milan contract this summer, Torres has signed on with Los Rojiblancos to remain a part of Diego Simeone's squad next season.
Simeone persuaded by fine form
The 32-year-old has convinced Simeone to keep him on after enjoying a fine run-in last term, recapturing his best form to score 10 goals in the final 20 games.
Torres, who initially spent six years in the Atlético first-team before moving to Liverpool and then Chelsea, also netted his 100th career goal for Atlético during the 2015/16 campaign.
Torres: "I'm delighted"
Reacting to the news, Torres explained: "I’m delighted to continue at home, the only place where I ever wanted to be, and it has finally come true."
He went on: "I've never had doubts about where I wanted to be during all this process in which we didn't know what was going to happen.
"In the end, what matters is that I have achieved what I was waiting for."
Caminero: "It's great news"
Sporting director José Luis Pérez Caminero said: "[It's] great news for everyone, since Fernando is part of the family and all the Atléticos are delighted with the fact that he can continue with us.
"He knows the club perfectly and is a benchmark for all of his team-mates. The players trained in our Academy have a model to follow and he always has good advice to give to them.
"He is a man with a tremendous experience, used to winning titles and competing at the highest level."
Te recomendamos en English
- E3 2021 Nintendo Direct conference & Treehouse at E3 2021: times, stream online, and how to watch
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Coronavirus US: Pfizer vs Moderna vaccine side effects
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why are Olympics named like that? Origin and meaning
- US News IRS delays: Is identity theft delaying stimulus checks and tax refunds?
- US News How have vaccine lotteries impacted vaccination rates?
- Copa America Who won the last Copa America and which country has the most titles?