The Barcelona player, Leo Messi, and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, have been sentenced to 21 months in jail by the High Court in Barcelona for defrauding the Spanish tax authorities out of 4.1 million euros.
Read: Messi faces tax charges
The two were charged with using a chain of fake companies in Belize and Uruguay to avoid paying taxes of 4.16 million euros on Messi's income earned through the sale of his image rights from 2007-09.
Read: Messi testifies in court
Although sentenced to time in jail, it is likely that it will be suspended as is common in Spain for first offences carrying a sentence of less than two years.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Golden State Stimulus: What is it, who approved it, and how does it differ from federal stimulus check?
- NBA Lakers vs Suns live online: scores, stats, highlights, updates...
- REAL MADRID 2-2 SEVILLA Zidane slams referee after controversial Sevilla penalty
- US News What states are ending pandemic-related unemployment benefits?
- LIGUE 1 PSG title chances dented by draw away to Rennes
- US News Do you need to work to claim the child tax credit?