The Barcelona player, Leo Messi, and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, have been sentenced to 21 months in jail by the High Court in Barcelona for defrauding the Spanish tax authorities out of 4.1 million euros.
Read: Messi faces tax charges
The two were charged with using a chain of fake companies in Belize and Uruguay to avoid paying taxes of 4.16 million euros on Messi's income earned through the sale of his image rights from 2007-09.
Read: Messi testifies in court
Although sentenced to time in jail, it is likely that it will be suspended as is common in Spain for first offences carrying a sentence of less than two years.
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA | EUROPA LEAGUE Europa League 2020/21 round of 16 draw: as it happened
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Henderson out until April after surgery on injury
- NFL NFL: Wilson hasn't demanded trade from Seattle Seahawks, says agent
- NBA NBA: Irving, Harden inspire Brooklyn Nets to eighth win in a row
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: what time is the vote in the House?