The Barcelona player, Leo Messi, and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, have been sentenced to 21 months in jail by the High Court in Barcelona for defrauding the Spanish tax authorities out of 4.1 million euros.
Read: Messi faces tax charges
The two were charged with using a chain of fake companies in Belize and Uruguay to avoid paying taxes of 4.16 million euros on Messi's income earned through the sale of his image rights from 2007-09.
Read: Messi testifies in court
Although sentenced to time in jail, it is likely that it will be suspended as is common in Spain for first offences carrying a sentence of less than two years.
Te recomendamos en English
- Opta stats Diabolical defending: Europe's top five leagues in 2019-20
- International UEFA suspends Champions League 'until further notice'
- LIVERPOOL Birthday Boy Brewster could be the answer for Klopp
- Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos needs 'importance' at Arsenal
- REAL MADRID | SAGNA Sagna: "I see Pogba closer to Juventus than Real Madrid because of Cristiano"