The Barcelona player, Leo Messi, and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, have been sentenced to 21 months in jail by the High Court in Barcelona for defrauding the Spanish tax authorities out of 4.1 million euros.
Read: Messi faces tax charges
The two were charged with using a chain of fake companies in Belize and Uruguay to avoid paying taxes of 4.16 million euros on Messi's income earned through the sale of his image rights from 2007-09.
Read: Messi testifies in court
Although sentenced to time in jail, it is likely that it will be suspended as is common in Spain for first offences carrying a sentence of less than two years.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Meteor Shower Perseid meteor shower August 2020: how and when to watch
- Coronavirus Trump executive order: how much will it cost the US?
- Ohter Sports Forbes: Covid-19 is massively-affecting sports in South Africa
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool close in on a deal for 'the next Neymar’ Talles Magno
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Atalanta have a responsibility not to disappoint against PSG, says Gasperini