Barça's hashtag to support Messi over tax fraud conviction
Barcelona have urged fans to "express their sympathy for the greatest footballer in the world" after he was handed a 21-month jail term.
Barcelona have again moved to show their backing for Leo Messi following his sentencing for tax fraud, launching a social media campaign for the Argentine striker.
Statement from club, president takes to Twitter
Messi and his father, Jorge, were handed 21-month jail terms on Wednesday after being found guilty of defrauding Spain's tax authorities of 4.1 million euros on income earned from image rights.
The club issued a statement of support for Messi in the hours after the ruling, while president Josep Maria Bartomeu also posted a message on his Twitter account on Friday, declaring: "We'll defend you to the end".
Leo, those who attack you are attacking Barça and its history. We’ll defend you to the end. Together forever!— Josep Maria Bartomeu (@jmbartomeu) 8 July 2016
Social media campaign: #WeAreAllLeoMessi
And in an announcement on their website on Saturday, Los Azulgranas called on supporters to take to social media with videos or photos 'with both hands open', using the hashtag #WeAreAllLeoMessi.
"The campaign is encouraging all Barça fans to express their sympathy for the greatest footballer in the world by voicing their unconditional support," Barça said.
Messis to lodge appeal
Neither Messi is expected to serve time behind bars as they both have no previous convictions and the sentences they have been given are under two years.
The pair's lawyers have confirmed that they are to appeal.
Te recomendamos en English
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Haaland's competitive approach rubbing off on Dortmund team mates
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester's Ndidi to miss Man City clash
- Barcelona Barcelona: Martin Braithwaite presentation live online
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Dortmund's golden boys: Reyna, Haaland and Sancho
- Barcelona Braithwaite: "I'm a goalscorer so I'm here to score goals"
- Europa League Getafe vs Ajax live online: Europa League 2019-20