ATLÉTICO DE MADRID
Atlético in talks for Argentine keeper Axel Werner
The 20-year-old, who will be with the Argentina squad at next month's Olympics, is a bet for the future and won't be directly incorporated into the first team.
- LaLiga Santander, matchday 20: Alavés-Atlético Live.
Atlético are holding talks with Atlético de Rafaela for goalkeeper Axel Werner, who will be taking part in next month's Olympic Games with Argentina. Atleti intend to complete the signing of the 20-year-old then immediately loan him out to another side where he can gain first team experience. Jan Oblak and Miguel Ángel Moyà will continue as Simeone's first choice keepers next season - the latter is close to adding an extra year onto his contract. Ángel Bernabé will be the third choice with the senior side and guard the net for the reserves.
Werner has already carved out a reputation for himself and is considered to be one of the best young goalkeepers in Argentina. He has represented Argentina at various youth levels - Under-15, Under-17 and Under-20 categories and is Augusto Batalla's natural understudy with the Under-20s. Atlético could close the transfer this week.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS New York City FC signs Thiago Andrade from Bahia
- LALIGA Atlético boss Simeone tells LaLiga hopefuls to 'resist' in title push as injuries mount
- BARCELONA "Vincius' agents betrayed us" - says ex-Barcelona head of South America
- MLS When is Opening Day for the 2021 MLS season?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker
- CORONAVIRUS When are you fully vaccinated from Covid: which vaccines require two doses?