PORTUGAL 1 - 0 FRANCE
Cristiano: "This will help me win Ballon d'Or...but I'm not obsessed"
The Portugal captain, who went off injured after 25 minutes in his side's Euro 2016 final win against France , added: "I've cried a lot tonight. I'm so happy. We deserve it..."
“I’ve been looking to win [a major international trophy] for a long time now…since 2004. I’m really happy, it’s one of the best moments of my career,” beamed Cristiano Ronaldo after Portugal’s 1-0 win over France in the Euro 2016 final on Sunday night.
“I’ve always said that I wanted to win something with Portugal to go down in history and I’ve done it,” added Ronaldo, 12 years after losing the European Championship final to Greece in Lisbon.
The Real Madrid star only played 25 minutes of the match against France after taking a blow to the left knee, but that didn’t stop him basking in the glory of his nation’s first ever major honour.
"It's an unforgettable moment...we deserved it"
“It’s an unforgettable moment,” said the 31-year old and three-time Ballon d’Or winner. “I’d won everything at club level, but I was missing something with the national side. We deserved it. There have been many years of sacrifice, and no one believed in us.”
Ronaldo also praised the work of Portuguese coach Fernando Santos. “He was the most important person at this tournament. He said that we’d only return to Lisbon on July 11th [the day after the final]. Many were left marked by his words, myself included.”
Referring to the Ballon d’Or, Ronaldo remarked: “This victory will help me, but I’m not obsessed by it.”
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Coronavirus stimulus checks Second stimulus check update: US coronavirus relief bill
- UFC UFC 254: Emotional Khabib announces retirement after beating Gaethje
- US Election 2020 Early voting in Florida: when will it end and where can I vote?
- Halloween What's the origin, meaning and history of Halloween?
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID Real Madrid edge ahead of Barcelona in historical rivalry