Luka Modric questioned in multi-million euro corruption case
The Real Madrid player has been questioned by Croatian prosecutors over a multimillion-euro corruption case involving former high-ranking Dinamo Zagreb officials.
Real Madrid midfield star Luka Modric has been questioned by Croatian prosecutors over a multimillion-euro corruption case involving former high-ranking Dinamo Zagreb officials, a report said on Tuesday.
Modric -- who is not suspected of any wrongdoing -- had already been questioned by anti-graft prosecutors (USKOK) in Zagreb in September 2015 and his testimony was considered key in the case.
At the time local media reported Modric was questioned on the financial details of his 2008 transfer to Tottenham Hotspur. From there he joined Real Madrid. There were no details about the latest meeting with prosecutors, which took place in the Croatian capital on Monday, the Jutarnji list daily said.
Former Dinamo Zagreb boss Zdravko Mamic -- considered the most powerful man in Croatian football -- and his brother Zoran, the club's ex-coach, were charged by USKOK in April with abuse of power and bribery.
The Mamic brothers were charged along with one of the club's former directors and a tax inspector. The alleged offences cost the Croatian champions nearly 116 million kunas (16 million euros, $17 million).
Most of the money -- more than 12 million euros -- was illegally acquired by the Mamic brothers, according to the indictment. The money was allegedly embezzled through fictitious deals related to player transfers.
Zdravko Mamic repeatedly argued that the probes against him were politically motivated.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS $300 weekly unemployment benefits: situation in states across the US
- US ELECTIONS 2020 US Election 2020: how many people have voted so far vs 2016
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, Amy Barrett confirmed to Supreme Court, cases, deaths, updates today
- Champions League Borussia Monchengladbach - Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- B. MÖNCHENGLADBACH-REAL MADRID Zidane on Isco's complaints: "He wants to play"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Olympique Marseille vs Manchester City: how and where to watch - times, TV, online