Still no back-up for Casemiro as preseason gets underway
The sole new face that Zidane has brought in so far is Morata, with Pogba and Alaba signings now seeming increasingly unlikely and that leaves one position light.
The sole new face that Zidane has brought in so far is Morata, with Pogba and Alaba signings now seeming increasingly unlikely
Preseason starts today (16 July) without any new faces at Real Madrid other than Morata. What's more, the one thing that Zidane has asked for has not been given to him: back-up for Casemiro (the only player in the squad without a replacement). Signing Paul Pogba would be the perfect antidote for the Frenchman, but it would mean letting go of either James or Kroos to fund the move - something that Florentino Perez doesn't want to do.
Pogba and Alaba, no goes so far...
Other than the number five position, Zidane has reinforcements everywhere except at left-back, with Coentrao still injured with a pulled hamstring, having been unable to play since last November. David Alaba is a name that's been strongly linked with Real Madrid (he can play on the left side of the back four, as well as in the centre), with the club having offered €65 million to Bayern Munich for his services. The German champions though have rejected the bid and refused to negotiate.
Elsewhere in the squad, Asensio hasn't been given a team number for the upcoming season, but Zidane wants him to stay at the club. From Madrid Castilla, Marcos Llorente will be brought along on the pre-season tour of Canada (he's able to provide cover for Casemiro), while strikers Mayoral and Mariano as well as Martin Odegaard, the star signing for Castilla two seasons ago, will also join the first-team squad on the plane.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Who is Abhigya Anand, the child astrologer that predicted the coronavirus pandemic?
- George Floyd Protests Facebook will review its rules after Donald Trump's controversial messages
- George Floyd What is the third amendment and can it be applied now?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: Why are some taxpayers still waiting for the payment?
- George Floyd Protests George Floyd: 'Black Lives Matter' on Washington DC street challenges Trump
- Coronavirus IRS tax deadline postponed: when is the new payment date?