The four reasons Zidane wants to sign Paul Pogba
Zinedine Zidane views Pogba as able to fill the Casemiro role and to add even more potency to the attack, as well as enjoying a close relationship.
Muscle for the centre of midfield
In Zidane’s eyes, the area of the team that requires the most reinforcements is midfield. Last season, the Real coach hit the jackpot by including Casemiro in a midfield three and Madrid were stronger with the Brazilian screening the back four. Should Pogba arrive, Casemiro would be the fall guy in Zidane’s hypothetical starting 11 but the side would gain plenty in terms of quality and physical power.
A right-hand man
The relationship between Zidane and the 23-year-old Pogba is an excellent one. Both have represented Juventus and France and Zidane has professed his admiration for the player on more than one occasion. Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, has also said that “Pogba likes Zidane” and that his client “finds Madrid fascinating.”
It seems like a mere detail but Real have one of the most potent attacks in Europe in the air. Gareth Bale has blossomed into a great header of the ball and together with Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe, Sergio Ramos and to an extent Karim Benzema, all set pieces into the area have a decent chance of winding up in the back of the net and with the constant aerial threat of Pogba, which he demonstrated with his goal against Iceland at the Euros, that collective menace would be increased.
The James question
Zidane has no issue with the Colombian’s performances but he does harbor doubts about his participation, after a few headline grabbing incidents while on international duty and some further column inches generated in Madrid over his alleged lifestyle. Furthermore, James has tended to go missing in important games. And Real can still cash in on him.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS David Beckham's Inter Miami and in sponsorship talks with Qatar
- SERIE A Inter Milan director confirms Christian Eriksen bid and agreement for Chelsea's Victor Moses
- PREMIER LEAGUE Guardiola focused on improving Manchester City rather than chasing Liverpool
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Ousmane Dembélé enters the final phase of his recovery
- ARITZ GABILONDO Reinier, a classic No. 10 in the same mould as Kaká or Rai
- FOOTBALL Messi, Aubameyang, Pogba... 15 stars who are out of contract in 2021