"I am the ex-captain of FC Barcelona. I've won six leagues, three European Cups, a World Cup, and a European Championship. I am Carles Puyol, and I am Spanish." That is how Puyol introduces himself in a new La Liga advert for a Chinese TV channel.
Despite the fact the advert is airing over a thousand miles away in the Far East, it has received a lot of attention back in the Barça legend's native Spain, and especially in Catalonia.
Thousand's of messages have been sent to Puyol - who is Catalan - through his official Twitter account, with many of them fiercely critical of his self-description of 'Spanish' in the advert.
The insults aimed at Puyol - who played 100 games for the Spanish national side between 2000 and 2013 - range from "Traitor", "Deserter" and "Sell-out".
La majoria dels mortals potser canviaria de parella però mai d'equip de futbol, de pàtria ni de bandera; i no és... https://t.co/jx8dgXxIF0— Fantassin (@Fantassin) 18 de julio de 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night