TURKEY | SUPER LIG
Mario Gómez calls time on Besiktas stint for “politics”
The Turkish Super Lig’s top goal scorer last season says he is moving on “from this great club” purely for the political situation in the country.
German striker Mario Gómez, the top scorer in Turkey's Süper Lig last season, said on Wednesday that he would be leaving Istanbul-based Beşiktaş after just one season due to the political situation in the countrty in the wake of the failed military coup.
“I will not be playing for this great club... anymore. The reason for this is completely down to the political situation!” he said in a statement on his Facebook page. “It is purely down to the terrible events that happened in the last few days”.
Te recomendamos en English
- Liverpool Klopp: Mbappe, Haaland will think twice if Liverpool can't offer Champions League football
- CSL Chinese Super League counts the cost of the boom years
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid, Liverpool and Juve keen on Lyon's Houssem Aouar
- NBA NBA All-Star weekend: who were the Hall of Famers in 2020?
- CORONAVIRUS Biden criticises “Neanderthal” decision to remove mask mandates
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla: result, summary and goals