TURKEY | SUPER LIG
Mario Gómez calls time on Besiktas stint for “politics”
The Turkish Super Lig’s top goal scorer last season says he is moving on “from this great club” purely for the political situation in the country.
German striker Mario Gómez, the top scorer in Turkey's Süper Lig last season, said on Wednesday that he would be leaving Istanbul-based Beşiktaş after just one season due to the political situation in the countrty in the wake of the failed military coup.
“I will not be playing for this great club... anymore. The reason for this is completely down to the political situation!” he said in a statement on his Facebook page. “It is purely down to the terrible events that happened in the last few days”.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's internal debate
- TRANSFER RUMOURS Premier League: Arsenal intensify Nuno interest and keep Martínez in mind
- VALENCIA - REAL MADRID Zidane and Celades: friends in Madrid, rivals in Valencia
- FOOTBALL Michael Owen: "I was already in decline by the time I was 23"
- Rashford eager to live up to 'nice' Ronaldo comparisons
- LIVERPOOL Liverpool: "Klopp has made me who I am today" - Alexander-Arnold