Jonas, Barça’s alternative if Vietto deal falls through
The ex-Valencia striker’s brother and agent told Globoesporte that the Catalan club have been in touch regarding a potential transfer.
Recent reports suggest that Barcelona are set to close a deal with Atletico Madrid for striker Luciano Vietto but, if the claims of agents are to be believed, the club have identified an alternative in case the deal falls through: Benfica’s 32-year-old Brazilian striker Jonas.
“Someone who said they were calling on behalf of Barcelona contacted me asking about Jonas,” said the player’s brother and agent Tiago Goncalves.
“We’re obviously flattered because it’s recognition of the great season he’s had,” he added. The Brazilian striker was one of Europe’s deadliest strikers last season, racking up 32 goals in just 34 games and rivalling Barcelona’s Luis Suarez for the Golden Shoe awarded to the continent’s top marksman.
Jonas’ agent said that he’s very happy and settled at Benfica but did leave the door open for Barcelona to pursue a deal. “I want to make clear that Jonas is very happy at Benfica. A transfer would only be an option if both Benfica and Jonas are happy with it," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA $100 million coronavirus fraud losses after multiple scams
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City sign Nathan Ake
- CORONAVIRUS USA Stimulus check: CARES, HEALS and HEROES Acts compared
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: when will the money arrive?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths, HEALS Act and stimulus checks, today
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Casillas: Real Madrid, Spain's prolific 'goal unscorer' retires