Manchester United number 9: Zlatan or Martial? Mou decides
Anthony Martial has updated his social media accounts with his personal brand of "AM9" in the wake of new signing Ibrahimovic being handed his number 9 shirt.
Mourinho seems to have his first player spat to intervene in and the season is not even underway. After joining Manchester United on the final day of last summer's transfer window for a teenage record 36 million pounds, the famous number 9 shirt was handed to Anthony Martial and it looks like it has been taken away from him.
With this year's squad numbers having been announced, the youngster has had to move to number 11 - held by Adnan Januzaj - with new arrival, Zlatan Ibrahimovic having 'selected' the number 9 for himself. Reports suggest that Martial is not happy after not being consulted first and on Saturday updated his social media accounts.
Taking to Facebook, the young French star shared his new brand image which includes a neatly designed number 9. His Twitter account also shows the player wearing his shirt - which makes sense given that he's not yet achieved anything as a number 11 - and again uses the branded image for his profile.
Whether there is any animosity in this move is yet to be determined and several commentators on the matter have already pointed out that being an Old Trafford number 11 is some feat at his tender age and something to be proud of. But with the power of marketing and importance of promotional activities these days maybe this one will need the man-management of José Mourinho to avoid any disharmony.
As an aside, Martial has been playing recently for his national team France as the number 11 so a consolidation of the two may be a better longer-term strategy for his marketing gurus...unless the plan is to swap the blue shirt.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US Unemployment benefits in California: how to check the status of your claim
- GAMING NEWS Among Us! how to download and play for free on PC (Windows) and Mac
- ATLÉTICO 6-1 GRANADA Luis Suárez scores two and assists one in Atletico debut demolition of Granada
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: what is Mark Cuban's proposal?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica