Atlético Madrid, LaLiga's biggest summer spenders to date
With the purchase of Kevin Gameiro, Cholo Simeone's side have spent a total of 81 million euro, one million more than Barcelona.
With just under three weeks ahead of the 2016/17 season getting under way, Atlético Madrid are the biggest spending side of the LaLiga Santander with 81 million euro having been allocated on the acquisition of new signings. Sources at the Calderón admit that the Gamiero signing is probably the last spending of the campaign and the task ahead for the club's sporting director is to balance books by selling players.
To date Atlético have banked 3,5 million for the sale of Leo Baptistao (Espanyol), 3 million for Guilavogui (Wolfsburg) and a further 3 for the Vietto and 1.5 for Kranevitter for their respective loan deals with Sevilla. An additional 11 million were secured as part of the Jackson Martinez move to China and the need is for the club to keep selling.
Borja, Manquillo and Óliver are the three young players that are in the "shop window" and the club would also consider offers for squad players such as Velázquez, Mensah, Diogo and Borré who Cholo sees as superfluous to his core squad needs.
Summer transfer market 16-17
R. Madrid 30
R. Sociedad 11,3
Las Palmas 0
Summer transfer market 15-16
R. Madrid 88,9
R. Sociedad 30,1
Las Palmas 3,4
Big spending in Spain in recent years has slowed down with only Peter Lim joining Valencia bucking the trend last year with the Mediterranean club shelling out 137 million euro on new signings during the summer window.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson out for the rest of the season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Former players call for change after calamitous VAR decisions
- World Football Summit Collina on VAR: “In five years we’ve gone from zero to having it in all main competitions”
- REAL MADRID-ALAVÉS Real Madrid player ratings in 2-0 win over Alavés
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: what did Dr Fauci say about the hotspots and reopening?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today