Real Madrid have lost another battle in this summer's transfer window as they seek to shore uptheir midfield. Marco Verratti, one of the choice picks of Zidane to provide competition for Casemiro in the holding midfield slot, has renewed with Paris Saint-Germain, adding five years onto his existing contract. It's not the first time that Madrid have shown an interest in Verratti - Carlo Ancelotti asked Florentino Pérez to approve the signing of his compatriot - who had impressed the coach during their time together at PSG.
With Paul Pogba set to return to Manchester United, and now Verratti pledging his future to PSG, Madrid are watching their options in the transfer market vanish before their eyes. Matic and Sissoko are now the best placed to join Zidane's squad. N'Golo Kanté's arrival at Chelsea has left Matic further down the order and the Serbian is open to look for more regular playing time away from Stamford Bridge, although it seems that the team closest to gaining his signature is Juventus. As for Sissoko, Madrid are hoping that he makes a stand and tells Newcastle that he wants to leave.
Rafa Benítez and club officials have known since the end of last season that the player wants to move on and earn a higher wage at a club with bigger aspirations.
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA | EUROPA LEAGUE Europa League 2020/21 round of 16 draw: as it happened
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Henderson out until April after surgery on injury
- NFL NFL: Wilson hasn't demanded trade from Seattle Seahawks, says agent
- NBA NBA: Irving, Harden inspire Brooklyn Nets to eighth win in a row
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: what time is the vote in the House?