Bordeaux's Menez has surgery to repair ear 'ripped in two'
New Bordeaux forward Jeremy Menez will likely miss the start of the season after a defender's studs ripped his ear.
Menez' ear ripped by heavy challenge
New Bordeaux forward Jeremy Menez will likely miss the start of the season after defender Ndong's studs ripped his ear so badly it needed surgery, the club said on Thursday.
Menez recently joined Bordeaux from AC Milan
France international Menez joined from AC Milan on Monday but was led from the pitch bleeding heavily during his debut on Wednesday night in a 3-1 friendly win over Ligue 1 rivals Lorient.
'Jeremy was operated on late Wednesday under local anaesthetic to resew his ear,' the club said on Thursday.
Menez' ear, cut in two
Bordeaux coach Jocelyn Gourvennec described Menez's ear as 'cut in two' after the game, adding that Lorient midfielder Didier Ndong had gone in too hard.
The Gabonese offered a profuse apology after the game, saying the incident had been an accident.
'I apologise to Jeremy Menez and to Bordeaux and hope to see him back in Ligue 1 action soon,' he said.
'It was completely involuntary but had unfortunate consequences for him.'
Bordeaux open their Ligue 1 campaign against Saint-Etienne in ten days' time.
Ndong also sent Rolan packing
A heavy tackle from Ndong earlier in the game also saw another Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan limp from the pitch.
The 29-year-old Menez spent the past two seasons in Italy after joining Milan from Paris Saint-Germain, making an instant impression with 16 league goals in 33 appearances during the 2014-15 campaign.
But he struggled with injury last term as Milan limped to a disappointing seventh-place finish in Serie A.
Menez has been capped 24 times at international level but last played for France in 2013.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night