ATLÉTICO DE MADRID
Gameiro: "I'd have stayed at Sevilla rather than go to Barça"
Talking to L'Equipe, Kevin Gameiro said that signing for Atlético Madrid was the best "sporting option" as he would likely have been fourth-choice at Barcelona
- LaLiga Santander, matchday 20: Alavés-Atlético Live.
Kevin Gameiro has revealed to L’Equipe that signing for Atlético Madrid was his best option on a “sporting level”, despite having been offered more money to go to the Premier League. He also said that he rejected the possibility of moving to Barcelona, where he “would have had less minutes.”
Simeone factor key
The French forward, who was unable to make his Rojiblanco debut against Crotone owing to a muscle injury, arrived at the Vicente Calderón for a fee of €32 million after netting 29 goals last season for Sevilla. For Gameiro, the Diego Simeone factor was also key to his decision in joining Atléti. “He told me he was looking for a player like me, who was capable of providing strength in defence as well as attack. Simeone wanted someone who could blend in with the group.”
"I'd have been fourth choice at Barça"
Despite Barcelona’s interest, the 29-year old didn’t seriously consider the chance to pull on the azulgrana shirt. “It’s more probable that I would have stayed in Sevilla than go to Barça,” he said. “I knew that if I went there I’d be fourth-choice striker. I think my playing time would have been reduced.
“[Atlético] was, more than anything, a sporting option. My agents informed me of offers at a more attractive financial level, but I wanted to stay in Spain. My finally and I like it here and La Liga is one of the best competitions.”
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS IRS checks: what does tax refund 30 mean?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos will be back one day, says Toni Kroos
- NFL Carl Nassib announcement "historical landmark" for NFL - Ryan Russell
- EURO 2020 Euro 2021 Group E: scores, standings and who progresses to the round of 16
- NBA Coach Tyronn Lue hopes the home arena ambiance will help indisposed Clippers
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: why could the US be the next country hit with the delta variant?